Monday, January 31, 2011

The Call

I got the call you never ever want to get after an ultrasound. I have to meet with a geneticist and have a level II ultrasound on Thursday. Apparently the baby has a choroid plexus cyst or cysts on her brain. I guess most babies have these, but they only become a problem if they measure a certain size or bigger and only 1-3% of babies have that. The worst case scenario is that this could indicate trisomy 18, which is generally fatal. I think it can also be marker for regular down syndrome too. However, luckily most the time, about 99% of the time, it's nothing and the cyst(s) go away on their own and the baby is fine. For me, a chronic worrier, this is hard, even with the amazing odds. I've spent time crying and feeling her move and wondering what if.... I hate what ifs. It's almost surreal to feel her move and think that there could be something wrong with her. Something that could take her away from me. But NO! I refuse to think like that! I can't! More likely than not she is perfectly fine! I just have to be positive! I can't ruminate in what ifs. I am going to ask Mark for a blessing and luckily I only have to wait til Thursday for the ultrasound. Hopefully they'll be able to tell me right there and then what's going on. I will lean on my family and my Heavenly Father for support and strength. I know they will give it to me! I will update more on Thursday when I find out more.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck, I hope it all works out! When my mom was pregnant with my brother this same thing happened (well, not exactly sure if it was the exact same thing, I was a lot younger then - but I know it was cysts on the brain of some type) and it also happened at the same time to another lady in our ward, and both boys turned out perfectly normal. I'll pray for you! :)

    ReplyDelete