Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Follow up Ultrasound

I had my follow up ultrasound today. I don't know the results yet. Oh how I wish that they would just let me see a doctor so I didn't have to play this waiting game! I was able to see the screen this time (whether the technician knew it or not I'm not sure). At first I thought oh haha now I can figure things out on my own without having to wait! YIPEE!! Then after watching, I realized this was not a good thing. I figured out that on the screen it showed the gestational age for each measurement. I only figured this out towards the end so I only saw the last few measurements. But those last few measurements just fueled my worry. I know they take multiple measurements since there is so much room for error the bigger the baby gets so, like I said, I'm only going off the last few I saw, which probably isn't a good idea in itself. But nonetheless, I looked and I saw and now I'm worried. The measurement I saw for her head was 34 weeks and some days. Not bad. I am supposedly 35 weeks and 3 days so about a week or so behind, which I think is considered pretty normal (but we already knew her head was normal). The measurement I saw for her femur, however, was at 32 weeks and some days. That is quite a bit smaller. And thanks to google - or no thanks to google - a short femur length is a marker for down syndrome. Yay something else to add to my list of worries. I didn't catch a gestational age for her abdomen but I think I remember the cm measurement and from what I remember it put her abdomen at about the same gestational age as her femur - 32ish weeks - small again. Now I'm hoping that if I'm right about that measurement that her abdomen still grew. Since my last ultrasound was at 32 weeks and it was smaller at that time then a measurement of 32 weeks 3 weeks later would indicate some growth right? And yes, I do notice a lot of problems with my logic. First, I'm going off only the few measurements I saw. Second, I have nothing to compare it to since I never got the actual measurements from my last ultrasound so for all I know she could be growing right on target, just on the small side. And third, I could have read or understood these all completely wrong. Oh WHY DID I LOOK? There's a reason they usually turn the screen away from you. I want another level II ultrasound so I can have a real live doctor show me and tell me everything. UGH! Stupid Kaiser. This time when they call I'm asking for a detailed rundown of everything! I don't want to be left in the dark again. I hope they call soon. Oh please oh please call soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment