Monday, April 21, 2014

The Good News (And Bad News) Continues

I spoke with my OB nurse today and received good and bad news, but I think mostly good news. One of the first things she said, "Well, this is a surprise!" She did not expect my numbers to go up as much as they did or at all. She was pretty convinced they would be going down and that I would have started miscarrying by now, so I'm already surprising everyone! :)

I asked her about the lack of doubling and she said all she looks for is a trend and a rise of 66% or more. What she will be looking for now is a continuation of that trend. A slow down, stop, or decline will be bad. I have another hcg test tomorrow and my fingers are crossed that the trend continues! She also said that she doesn't put much stock in the actual numbers, because they aren't always indicative of what is going on in the pregnancy. Case in point: based on my numbers Wednesday night they shouldn't have been able to see anything, but they were able to see a gestational sac and a yolk sac, and she thinks she can see the beginning of a fetal pole. Plus it measured right on time, so again - breaking the mold! Way to go baby!

I asked her about the irregular shape of the sac and she said in her opinion it was pretty round - maybe a little elongated, but pretty normal. So that is great news! She even said she saw what she called the "ring of fire" around the sac, which is a light ring around the sac, another good sign. The bad news: The sac was low. She said it's hard to tell exactly how low because the image is so magnified it's hard to tell where the sac is in relation to the rest of the uterus. What they will be looking for now is the exact location of the sac. Hopefully it is just in the lower uterus. What they are checking for is if the sac is implanted in the cervix. A baby implanted in the cervix is a dangerous ectopic and could cause hemorrhaging, rupture, which would cause me to lose my uterus and cervix, or kill me (Yeah it's REALLY dangerous). But it only accounts for 0.1% of all ectopics so pretty rare. If they see that the sac is in the cervix I will automatically be given a medicine that will abort the baby. A pregnancy in the cervix will never grow to be a baby, just like a pregnancy in the fallopian tube would never grow to be a baby. If the pregnancy is just in the lower part of the uterus they would keep a close eye on me and watch for placenta previa and some other complications. Most likely if it's just low in the uterus it would move up as the uterus stretched and everything would be ok. That is what we are hoping for!

The other bad news is that there is a bleed at the top of my uterus, which is probably where the blood on Wednesday was coming from. Basically the body sees it as something foreign and tries to get rid of it, potentially taking the baby with it. Hopefully the body reabsorbs it or it can come out without taking the baby with it.

 I have a third blood test tomorrow and a follow up ultrasound on Wednesday with an actual OB doctor so hopefully I get to see something this time and hopefully it's a growing sac, with a fetal pole, and a heartbeat!

To summarize: There is definitely a baby in there. It is NOT in my tube, but could be in my cervix. It is still implanted and still growing and progressing, just not sure at what speed at this point. I'm still in the game, but it's still a waiting game and it can still go either way. But I do have more hope than I did have! I am praying that if it is a viable pregnancy that my body doesn't get rid of it and it can continue to grow and develop. A few more days and I should know a lot more!

No comments:

Post a Comment